Employers want more than a degree; they look for a range of relevant skills and experiences
The Value of Work Experience
- It can make your CV stand out.
- You develop key skills that will make you more employable.
- Can offer you an opportunity to put theory from your course into practice.
- Allows you to network with employers.
- It's an opportunity to identify jobs that aren't always advertised.
- Get a work based reference - vital for your CV.
Types of Work Experience
- Voluntary work: Unpaid time spent working for an organisation, often a charity.
- Vacation Placements: experience undertaken during university holidays.
- Work Shadowing observing someone during their working day - can usually last between 1 day and 1 week.
- Industrial/Sandwich placements are a great way to immerse yourself in a specific role and industry.
- Internships these are an opportunity to work in an organisation.
Work Experience information booklet
Back to Jobs and Professional Experience