Support For Disabled Students
The Careers Service works with disabled students and provide advice and guidance on any career related issue.
Our services include:
- Help with your CV and covering letter
- Issues around disclosing disabilities
- Improving your employability
- Exploring your career options
If you need support with your career, you can access our Disability Support information online or come and see us!
Our office is wheelchair accessible and our information can be made available in different formats.
Specialist Support is available to anyone who lives in the Kirklees area who has been diagnosed with a mental health problem, autistic spectrum condition and/or with other hidden impairments, e.g. ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia, or early onset dementia through The Richmond Fellowship.
Disclosing a disability:
Legislation prevents employers from discriminating against anyone because of a disability and obliges them to make “reasonable adjustments” to accommodate disability.
Have you heard about Change100? They offer summer internships with top companies from across the UK for university students and recent graduates with a long term health condition or disability, including physical, visual or hearing impairments, mental health conditions and learning disabilities like dyslexia and dyspraxia.
- UK Government- Access to work 'Government scheme to help disabled people in work, for instance paying for taxis to and from work'
- Exceptional Individuals - 'The First Employment Partnership for Dyslexic people'
- Incluzy - Find an inclusive employer
- Great With Disability - A resource packed webpage that also includes vacancies
- Mind - Practical advice to help students develop their employability skills.
- Employ-ability - Advertises internships, graduate opportunities and graduate fairs.
- Law Society Information for Disabled Students
- Vercida - Advertises graduate opportunities and inclusive employers.
Back to Specialist Information