Where to turn if things are not working

As a postgraduate researcher (PGR) it is likely that you will want to access some help or advice during your degree. There are a number of places you can access this, including:

  • Your supervisor(s) are the best starting point for asking about anything directly related to your research. They can often advise on topics such as useful conferences to attend, professional bodies to consider joining and possible areas of development.

  • Personal Tutors are members of staff within Academic Schools who are assigned to each PGR. They are outside of the PGRs' supervisory team and can be contacted for support and advice.  

  • Your School PGR administrators are the experts in the administration side of your research degree. They can advise on forms for progression points, suspensions, re-enrolling, School funding etc. They will also know about most events and opportunities going on within your School that you may be interested in.

  • The Researcher Environment Team are contactable at any time by emailing pgrskills@hud.ac.uk. You can also come along to one of the Researcher Environment Drop-In sessions (usually Wednesdays from 12:00-13:00 in SB10/19) to discuss research-related issues, wellbeing or your experiences as a PGR. The Team can also signpost you to other services and support within the University and externally.

  • Computing and Library Services can help with a variety of queries regarding software, printing, library resources, archives and many more. Use this feedback form to ask any questions you may have.
  • Registry can help with PGR programme enquiries regarding regulations, appeals, complaints, graduation ceremonies, production of degree certificates and more. To contact Registry email registryresearch@hud.ac.uk.

  • Your Director of Graduate Education. Each Academic School has a Director of Graduate Education who is responsible for PGR-related activities. If you do not feel you can talk to your supervisor(s) about research-related issues, wellbeing or your experiences as a PGR, contact the relevant Director for your School.

  • The Dean of Graduate School is someone to talk to if you feel that the issue is affecting a number of PGRs and/or has not been addressed at an individual/department/School level. The Dean holds open door sessions at regular intervals throughout the year and would like to meet you even if you just want to come along and introduce yourself and your research.  The Dean is contactable by emailing deanofgraduateschool@hud.ac.uk

  • Your Graduate Council representatives. Each School has PGR representatives who sit on Graduate Council. They are there to speak with you about issues affecting your experience as a PGR at Huddersfield and to bring these to the attention of the wider University at Graduate Council meetings. They will also report back from Graduate Council to let you know what was discussed. Your School representatives should make themselves known to you but if not, contact The Researcher Environment Team by emailing pgrskills@hud.ac.uk to request contact details for each School.

  • The International Office can provide help and support to international PGRs.

  • The Academic English Centre is there to assist international PGRs whose first language is not English with all aspects of academic English. There are a wide variety of courses and workshops throughout the year, as well as one-to-one tutorials and drop-in sessions. 

  • The Students’ Union offer advice on issues such as academic issues, employability, finance, housing, sexual health and wellbeing as well as hosting dedicated PGR coffee mornings/afternoons. In addition to the wealth of information online, there is an Advice Centre, located on level five of the Student Central Building.

  • iPoint provide help, support, information and advice. If they are not able to help you straight away they will be able to signpost you to others who can. iPoint is located on level 4 of the Student Central Building or alternatively visit their webpages for more information.

  • Wellbeing, Disability Services and the Faith Centre provide a wide variety of advice and support including one-to-one support and workshops.  The PGR Support Group run by Wellbeing is a good place to talk with, and receive advice from other PGRs and representatives from wellbeing and academia.

  • Big White Wall is an anonymous, online mental health support service offered to all PGRs.

  • Other PGRs are a great source of advice and support. More experienced PGRs may be able to answer questions on what to expect at different points, advise about the best person to talk to if you have a question, let you know how they tackled similar research problems or just be a friendly face to talk to in the office.

  • If you are having problems logging in to SkillsForge, contact registryresearch@hud.ac.uk.  For more information regarding the training courses on SkillsForge, or if you are having trouble completing the booking process/cancelling a course/adding yourself to the waiting list for a course, contact the Researcher Environment Team by emailing pgrskills@hud.ac.uk.

  • IT Support for all University-related IT problems.

  • To report a broken link on any Graduate School webpages, contact the Researcher Environment Team by emailing pgrskills@hud.ac.uk. For other parts of the University website, contact webteam@hud.ac.uk. 

If you have a positive comment to make and would like this to be formally recognised, you can nominate a member of staff to receive a Thank You Award at the yearly ceremony. The awards are organised by the Students’ Union.