Development funding for current postgraduate researchers
The Postgraduate Researcher Environment Development Fund (PREDF) is designed to provide a small amount (maximum £2000 per project) of funding for PGR-led initiatives that directly benefit groups of PGRs within the University and have an impact on the researcher environment. Examples include:
- Guest lectures
- Inviting external trainers to deliver training not already offered on campus
- Exhibition development
- Writing retreats
- Development of podcasts/web resources
For more information and to access the application form, view the two pdf files below. Please note that the PREDF can't be used to fund attendance at conferences or other events for individual PGRs.
Research Professional provides information on funding sources, including those for PGRs. PGRs can register and create searches in the same way as staff and there are some pre-set searches relevant to PGRs (see the University of Huddersfield Research Professional webpage). More targeted searches for specific groups of PGRs can also be set up and shared via this page. Categories of funding include:
- Financial support for personal development
- Financial support for publishing
- Financial support for travel for research
- Financial support for travel to conferences and meetings
The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding
The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding is an online resource for current and prospective postgraduate students (any subject, any nationality) who are looking to fund PhD, Master’s, and PGCE study (or parts of their study, such as travel grants) in the UK through grants from charities, trusts, and foundations.
The University of Huddersfield subscribe to this service, so to register just enter your @hud.ac.uk email address into option one in the green box and a password will be emailed to you. Once you have your login details, you can login through option one in the blue box. Alternatively if you do not want to register and you are on campus, option two in the blue box allows you to login automatically from campus.
Modern Language Funds
PGRs are entitled to apply to the Modern Language Funds to gain funding to study a modern foreign language. This initiative was established to support the wider personal and professional development of PGRs to help improve the ability to communicate with researchers in other
countries and access research literature and materials published in languages other than English, as well as opening up opportunities to seek employment and placements overseas.
The Modern Languages Centre offers the following languages:
- British Sign Language
- Professional English (for non-native speakers)
The Fund is open to full-time and part-time, registered, non-staff, PGRs. Courses start every September and early application is advised.
Please note that the fund will:
- Only be able to fund 30 PGRs per year on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Require successful applicants to contribute £75 towards course fees, which will be reimbursed upon successful completion of the course. To apply and for further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)1484 472386.