Postgraduate researcher representation

There are a number of ways that the views and opinions of postgraduate researchers (PGRs) are sought and many ways that PGRs can get involved. Explore the links below to find out more.

You asked, we did…

This section is where the Graduate School will update on postgraduate researcher (PGR) ideas that have been successfully actioned or implemented. There will be updates several times per year, but for the most up to date information, read the PGR Newsletter, which is emailed to all PGRs and will be archived within the Researcher Environment module in Brighspace, and follow University social media channels.

Get your voice heard

Do you have a concern about your experiences as a PGR? Would you like the chance to raise your concerns at School or University level?

Would you like to volunteer to be part of one of the groups below to help champion the views of your fellow students and PGRs?

Explore the links below to find out more.

Graduate Council

The role of the Council is to consider and discuss issues related to postgraduate provision and training at the University of Huddersfield from the perspective of PGRs and to inform the PGRs of potential changes of policy, regulations, codes of practice etc. Where necessary the Council can create subgroups to explore specific issues, and members of the subgroups can be co-opted from outside the Council.

The Council is chaired by the Dean of the Graduate School and is comprised of the following members: Two representatives from each School (ideally one second year PGR and one third year full-time PGR, or equivalent for part-time PGRs); a representative from Research and Enterprise; Secretary (from Research and Enterprise); President or deputy from the Students’ Union; Co-opted members as required (e.g. PGR Conference organisers).

The Council reports to the University Research Committee and passes information to the Graduate Board, and where necessary to the Senior Management Team, via the Dean. PGR members of the Council are expected to report back to the PGR communities in their respective Schools. Meetings are held six times per year. Minutes will be taken by the Secretary and circulated to Council members. Click the Graduate Council Terms of Reference pdf to download a copy of the Graduate Council’s Terms of Reference.

As a PGR, you can talk to the representatives from your School about any issues, comments or questions you have regarding your experience of being a researcher at Huddersfield. Your representatives may be able to put you in contact with someone within your School who can help you, or will raise your comments at the next Graduate Council meeting and respond back to you about any actions that will take place.

For a current list of PGR representatives in your School, or if you would like to become a representative, contact the Researcher Environment Team by emailing

The Dean of the Graduate School can be contacted by emailing

School PGR Forums

School level forums have been set up to discuss PGR issues that can be acted on at School level. Anything that cannot be solved or acted upon at School level can be brought to Graduate Council.

Minutes from School PGR forums are sent to Graduate Council and discussed. Representatives on School forums may also be representatives at Graduate Council.

Schools have details of when School forums take place and will invite PGRs to contribute. Schools will listen to all feedback received and will act on areas where they can make a difference.

For further information, contact the Postgraduate Research Administrator for the relevant School.

The Students' Union

The Students' Union Officers are a team made up of five students and postgraduate researchers (PGRs) who have been elected to work for you, full-time, for the duration of the academic year to ensure that the work of the Students’ Union reflects the wishes of the student population at the University.

The Officers have regular meetings with decision-makers at all levels of the University, and sit on some of the most important committees to focus on making student and PGR life better for everyone at the University of Huddersfield. For further information regarding the Officers and their activities, visit the Students’ Union website or email the Officers.

Academic Representatives make sure that all student and PGR opinions are heard by the Students’ Union and the wider University. There are two representatives recruited for every course in each year of study including undergraduates (UG), taught postgraduates (PGT) and PGRs. Becoming an academic representative will be a valuable experience as well as a great way to network with other students and PGRs that you may not otherwise meet. Training, events and resources are provided, so why not consider becoming involved!

For further information contact the relevant course representatives.

Postgraduate Engagement Assistants have been employed by the Students’ Union to develop and lead on activities and outreach events for PGRs. Contact the Students’ Union for more details, or if you would like to suggest an event that would benefit PGRs. Look for further communications regarding upcoming activities and events.

Feedback contact details

There is no need to wait to discuss any issues you have as a PGR. If there is anything you would like to discuss outside of your supervisory team, contact the Researcher Environment Team by emailing or come to one of the Researcher Environment Drop-In sessions (usually Wednesdays from 12.00-1.00pm in SB10/19).

Contact Professor Nigel King, Dean of the Graduate School, by emailing to express any concerns or to ask for an appointment.

To contact Registry please email

To report a broken link, contact the Web Team by emailing