Graduation Ceremony Venue
St Paul’s, Huddersfield
The oldest building on the University of Huddersfield campus and formerly the College Chapel, St Paul’s Church is now a public concert hall. Built in 1829, at the opposite end of Queen Street from St Peter’s Church, St Paul’s was designed by John Oates, architect of the original Huddersfield Infirmary, in the Early English style, ‘with plain untraceried lancets and ...thrifty application of decorative features’ (David Wyles), and built by eminent local builder and entrepreneur, Joseph Kaye.
St Paul’s was one of a number of ‘Commissioners’ churches built to serve the needs of a growing population and in response to the rise of Nonconformity. Later additions to the chancel in the 1880s reflected the changing nature of Anglican worship. In March 1964, St Paul’s Church was dedicated as Huddersfield Technical College Chapel by the Archbishop of York, Dr Coggan. Converted from a church in 1980, the concert hall seats 400 people and now provides a venue for a range of concerts, including the world renowned Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, and events such as the University of Huddersfield graduation ceremonies.