Can I get support as an international student?

All students with a disability are entitled to the same level of support. Once you have registered with the service, your Disability Adviser will work with you to identify the evidence we need of your disability, the impact your disability has on your studies, and the support you need. Your adviser will also co-ordinate this support and inform relevant members of staff of your requirements. The support provided by the University‚Äôs Disability Services focuses on your academic studies and is intended to enable you to access your course as fully as possible.

It is recommended that you disclose your disability to us as soon as possible. Early disclosure is advisable for a number of reasons:

  • There may be differences in the type of support you have previously received compared to the support on offer at the University. If we recognise this at an early stage, we can check that the support you are offered in the UK meets your needs.
  • There may be differences in the terminology and the definition of disability between countries.  It is important that we share an understanding of what the terminology means, what your disability is and what impact it has on you and your studies.
  • It may be difficult if you are studying in unfamiliar surroundings and dealing with the impact of your disability unassisted.
  • You will be in a better position to achieve your full potential if you have the academic support that you require.