What are support workers?

You may be recommended a support worker (sometimes referred to as a non-medical helper) either through the Disabled Students' Allowance or through your Disability Adviser. If so, Disability Services have a range of different support workers. These include:

  • Specialist support tutors.
  • Study mentors.
  • Notetakers.
  • Campus support (assistance in getting around the campus and using facilities).
  • Library support.
  • Research assistance.
  • Study buddy - assistance to settle in to University and student life.
  • British Sign Language Interpreters.
  • Teacher of the Deaf/Language Support.

We also arrange exam support workers such as amanuensis (scribe), readers and prompters. We co-ordinate this support with your academic school.

Support workers are organised and co-ordinated by our Learning Support team