What evidence do I need to provide to Disability Services?

You need to provide evidence of a disability to access support from Disability Services. This applies to all students, on all courses and at any level. The evidence needs to:

  1. be provided and signed by a medical or suitably qualified professional.
  2. contain clear information about the professional's organisation such as a letter heading, details of the organisation in the email signature, an organisation's stamp etc.
  3. demonstrate that the disability is long term - lasting or likely to last 12 months or more.
  4. indicate there is a significant impact on your day-to-day life.
  5. be written in English or be a formally certified translation.

Please note, if you have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, your evidence needs to be in the form of a full diagnostic report carried out by a registered psychologist, qualified specialist teacher or similar.

Apart from students with specific learning difficulties, you can use the Disabled Students' Allowance evidence form and ask the medical professional to complete this instead of a letter or report.

Please submit your evidence to Disability Services along with your name and student number - thank you.

If you are unsure whether the evidence you have is suitable, please submit this to Disability Services with a short explanation saying you are unsure if it is suitable. We will check this and get back in touch with you.

Further guidance on the types of evidence

Detail on the acceptable types of evidence when registering with Disability Services and applying for the Disabled Students' Allowance

What support can I access?

Discover the support available for you to access with appropriate evidence

I think I have a specific learning difficulty

If you think you have a specific learning difficulty but do not have a full diagnostic assessment, Disability Services may be able to arrange this for you