Important – Discontinuation of the ‘Email for life’ service on 31 July 2018
The ‘Email for life’ service has allowed all University of Huddersfield (UoH) students to retain a University email address after graduation. However, due to the very little active usage of the service, the introduction and need to comply with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the preferred option for alumni to maintain contact using Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, the service is no longer viable and is being withdrawn.
To assist you with the transition during the retirement of the service, a series of questions and answers can be found below.
- What does this mean for all graduates with an alumni mailbox?
- What does this mean for all future graduates?
- What happens if I return to study after graduation?
- Can I create a personal Office 365 account?
- I’ve advertised my Alumni account to others, what do I need to do?
- What else do I need to do?
- How do I keep in touch with the University of Huddersfield Alumni Office?
What does this mean for all graduates with a University of Huddersfield mailbox?
All alumni with an email address/login ID in the format email@example.com must ensure that all email stored in the associated mailbox is exported to a file or transferred to another email service using the Microsoft supplied instructions using this link. This must be done prior to 31st July 2018 as there will be no access to email addresses after this date.
What does this mean for all future graduates?
Students graduating after 31st July 2018 will no longer be provided with a University email address and will need to transfer any email they wish to retain to an alternative email service.
What does this mean for all current students?
All current students will continue to keep their mailbox. Current students will only be affected by this change when they graduate. Advanced notice will be provided to all 2018 and future graduates giving the options for saving the contents of the k: drive, Onedrive and Unimail before their account is closed after graduation.
What happens if I return to study after graduation?
If after graduation, you return to the University of Huddersfield for further study, you will be reconnected to the email service used by current students, retaining your previous firstname.lastname@example.org address. However, the associated mailbox will not retain any previous email.
Can I create a personal Office 365 account?
If you do not have a personal email address you can get a free Microsoft account at Microsoft Alternatively, if you prefer a Google personal account this can be done at Google Both services provide an email address with the associated mailbox, access to online applications and data storage.
I’ve advertised my University of Huddersfield account to others, what do I need to do?
Because you will no longer have access to your mailbox and consequently the email address you will not receive any email into this mailbox. Please make sure, wherever you have advertised this email address, the details are updated so it is changed to the email address of your personal mailbox. This needs to be completed before 31 July 2018.
What else do I need to do?
- Make sure you keep any emails you want to keep, this needs to be done before 31 July 2018.
- Wherever you have services configured to send email to your account, make sure they are aware the email address will no longer be valid. All future emails will need to be directed by the sender to your personal mailbox.
- Advertise your personal email address to your contacts.
- If you do not have a personal mailbox then you can get a free Microsoft account (Microsoft) or if preferred a personal Google account (Gmail).
- Make sure to stay in touch with the UoH alumni department via social media.
How do I keep in touch with the University of Huddersfield Alumni Office?