Try working for yourself
Instead of an internship or placement with an employer, why not think about setting up your own business or working for yourself?
Enterprise Placement Year is an alternative placement where you can spend the year exploring, researching and starting in business or self-employment.
You don’t need an earth-shattering new idea – this isn’t Dragons’ Den – just enthusiasm and ambition!
** The closing date for EPY 2020/21 applications is Friday 27 March 2020 **
Enterprise Placement Year (EPY) runs from September 2020 until June 2021. You will be based in our Enterprise Hub (BIC2/19) and will have the support of The Enterprise Team throughout the year. We'll work closely with you to help you develop your ideas and make a success of your business.
Enterprise Placement Year is a competitive scheme - there are only 20 places available across the whole University.
What will the year involve?
Throughout EPY you will be expected to:
- Devote proper time, energy and commitment to your business and EPY, acting in a business-like manner throughout and proactively seeking support from Business Advisors as and when required
- Work for at least 21 hours per week in the Enterprise Hub (BIC2/19)
- Attend all appropriate presentations and events including Welcome Week, weekly Enterprise Workshops, EPY Group Meetings and one-to-one meetings with Business Advisors
- Participate in competitions and initiatives when directed by the Enterprise Team and engage fully with all other external opportunities as and when presented
- Compile a monthly, and final end of year, reflection of your experiences and examples of work undertaken
- At the end of EPY you'll need to produce a business plan with financial forecasts, produce a profit & loss account for the year’s work, and present a 5-minute ‘pitch’ for your business and a 5-minute talk about your EPY experience to a panel
How to apply
- Speak to your School's Placement Office and your Course Tutor to discuss if EPY is a viable option for you
- Come along to one of our EPY drop-in sessions in the Enterprise Hub (BIC2/19) to find out more:
- Tuesday 10 March, 13:00-14:00
- Complete an EPY 2020/21 Application Form (also available from your Placement Office). The closing date for submitting your application for EPY 2020/21 is Friday 27 March 2020
- If your application is successful you will be invited to an "Is it Right for Me?" Assessment Day on Wednesday 22 April or Wednesday 29 April 2020
Want to know more? Get in touch or chat to your School's Placement Unit.