FAQs banner

How can I contact you?

Contact us If you are an applicant or a current student, please feel free to contact us to find out about the support on offer at the University. If you decide to link with us, please complete our on-line registration form. (Paper versions are available on request.) You will be assigned a Disability Adviser who will offer advice about accessing the right support for you and answer any disability related queries. You can contact your Disability Adviser by phone or email as well as make an appointment to meet with them face to face. Alternatively, if you are on campus you can visit the Wellbeing and Disability Services Help Desk in Student Central.

What information or evidence do I need to provide?

Your Disability Adviser will work with you in getting the right support in place. This may involve applying for the Disabled Students’ Allowance or making arrangements for support directly from the University. To do this, we will require some evidence of your disability. The evidence needs to explain how your disability impacts on your daily life and how long you have had or are likely to have the disability. The evidence can be written by any of the following people:

  • Your GP.
  • A specialist such as a mental health practitioner, an audiologist or a practitioner based in a clinical or hospital department.
  • An educational psychologist - this is for students who have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia. The Educational Psychologist Assessment report must have been produced after your 16th birthday.

Please pass a copy of your evidence to Disability Services by emailing it to disability@hud.ac.uk, or handing it in to the iPoint in Student Central, and we’ll let you know where to go from here. With your permission, we share information with University staff and external organisations so that we can get the support in place. You can also post your evidence to us at the following address:

Disability Service
Schwann Building
University of Huddersfield

If you are a current student and require an up to date Educational Psychologist Assessment report, Disability Services can arrange for an assessment to be performed at the University. The cost of the assessment with the Educational Psychologist is approximately £350 which is partly funded by the University. Each students undertaking an assessment is asked to make a contribution towards the cost - this is currently £60. For more information about this, please contact disability@hud.ac.uk.

What is Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) and can I get it?

Student The Disabled Students’ Allowance is a non-means tested Government allowance that can be used to cover some additional academic costs that you may incur as a result of your disability. DSA can be awarded to full and part time undergraduate students and some postgraduate students. The application involves a number of stages and your Disability Adviser can help you through the process. You can apply for DSA before or during your course and we advise you to contact us to find ou more as soon as you can.

DSA is administered by your funding body – so please click on the relevant link for you for further information about DSA and details on how to apply:

Student Finance England - www.gov.uk/disabled-students
National Health Service (NHS) - https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/student-services
Student Awards Agency for Scotland - http://www.saas.gov.uk/
Student Finance Northern Ireland - http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/
Student Finance Wales - http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/

A key stage of the DSA process is the Assessment of Needs. The Assessment of Needs is an opportunity for you to meet with a trained assessor to discuss the impact of your disability, the demands of your course and your support requirements. The assessor will then produce a written report that will contain recommendations about the support you need and also give guidance to the University on how we can help you get the most from your studies. 

If you’re not eligible for DSA?

You may not be eligible for the Disabled Students’ Allowance if you are an international student, an EU student or your course lasts less than a year. Don’t worry, you can still get the same support as those students who have DSA.

Please get in touch and provide evidence of your disability. We will meet with you to discuss your support requirements and how we can meet your needs.

Can you assess me for DSA?

The University of Huddersfield is an Outreach Assessment Centre and can offer Disabled Students' Allowance assessments to current and prospective students.  If you would like to have your Needs Assessment with us, please pass on a copy of your eligibility letter from your funding body and a copy of the evidence you sent with your original DSA Application.  The Assessment Centre is open 9.00am-5.00pm. 

You can contact us:
Tel. 01484 471001
Email. disability@hud.ac.uk
In person.  iPoint reception desk, Level 4, Student Central, University of Huddersfield

We work in partnership with the University of Derby Assessment Centre and Broadbent & Co. Assessment Centre. Both Assessment Centres provide experienced assessors who will discuss the adjustments and support you may require on your course and make the relevant recommendations to your funding body.

We are currently offering DSA appointments within fifteen working days of receipt of your eligibility letter and medical evidence.

Here’s a little more information about the assessment and our facilities:

Getting to the Assessment Centre:

‌The Assessment Centre is based in Student Central and has level access from outside the building through into the assessment room. Student Central (building 34) can be located on the campus map.

Please report to the iPoint help desk which is located opposite the main entrance to Student Central (see photos below).      

Student Central         iPoint Help Desk


  • The Campus is in the Town Centre and so parking facilities are a short walk away. If you require a parking space closer to the Assessment Centre for reasons linked with your disability, please let us know.
  • If you have any support worker requirements for the assessment, such as a British Sign Language interpreter, please let us know in advance of the assessment and we can make the arrangements.
  • The Assessment Centre has accessible toilet facilities in the reception area. The toilets require the use of a radar key which can be obtained from the Wellbeing and Disability Services Help Desk.

If we have not covered a requirement or a query you have about the Assessment Centre, please do not hesitate to contact us.

After the Needs Assessment:

Once you have discussed your support requirements with the needs assessor, they will write up a report which contains all the recommendations. If you would like to see a draft copy of the report before this is sent to your funding body, you will receive this within 10 working days of the assessment. You can then pass on any comments or queries for the assessor to consider before they produce the final copy of your report and send it to your funding body. If you do not wish to see a draft, the final copy of your report will be sent directly to your funding body within 10 working days of the assessment.

What assistive equipment and technologies do you offer?

There are various assistive technologies spread across the University to help you with your studies. Every computer in the Library and Computing Service area has TextHelp and MindView installed. These are software programmes that can be put on computers anywhere on campus on request. TextHelp is a language programme that is especially useful for dyslexic students. MindView is a mind mapping tool and is really good for essay and revision planning. In addition, there is a wide range of other equipment across the campus including ergonomic furniture, deaf alerters, ergonomic keyboards and mice and a Braille embosser.

Disability Services operates a loan of equipment service. We have laptops and digital recorders which are available for you to borrow. Please get in touch if you would like more information about this.

What are support workers?

Student support You may be recommended a support worker (sometimes referred to as a non-medical helper) either through the Disabled Students' Allowance or through your Disability Adviser. If so, Disability Services have a range of different support workers. These include:

  • Specialist support tutor.
  • Study mentors.
  • Notetakers.
  • Campus support - assistance in getting around the campus and using facilities.
  • Library support.
  • Research assistance.
  • Study buddy - assistance to settle in to University and student life.
  • British Sign Language Interpreters.
  • Teacher of the Deaf/Language Support.

We also arrange exam support workers such as amanuensis (scribe), readers and prompters. We co-ordinate this support with your academic school.


I'm an international student - can I still receive support?

As a disabled international student, you are entitled to the same level of support as a disabled UK student.  Your Disability Adviser will work with you to identify the evidence we need of your disability or condition, the impact your disability has on your studies and the support you need. The adviser will also co-ordinate this support and inform the staff of your requirements.  The support provided by the University’s Disability Services focuses on your academic studies and is intended to enable you to access your course as fully as possible.

It is recommended that you disclose your disability to us as soon as possible.  Early disclosure is advisable for a number of reasons:

  • There may be differences in the type of support you have previously received compared to the support on offer at the University.  If we recognise this at an early stage, we can check that the support you are offered in the UK meets your needs.
  • There may be differences in the terminology and the definition of disability between countries.  It is important that we share an understanding of what the terminology means, what your disability is and what impact it has on you and your studies.
  • It may be difficult if you are studying in unfamiliar surroundings and dealing with the impact of your disability unassisted.
  • You will be in a better position to achieve your full potential if you have the academic support that you require.

 The 'What information or evidence do you need to provide?' section above outlines what information or evidence we require from you to put support in place. 

Is the campus accessible for people with disabilities?

Campus and accessibility We have an on-going programme of improvements to buildings and facilities. Some of the facilities include: accessible toilets (one with a fixed tracking hoist system), voice announcement lifts, induction loop systems, push pads on doors and personal care equipment.

There is an accessibility mapaccessibility map to assist you in finding these routes around campus.  Disability Services can arrange swipe access through specific entrances and exits to help you find the most suitable route for you. 

We will notify your academic department if you require level access to teaching rooms, height adjustable desks, specific seating arrangements etc.

If you require parking on campus, Disability Services may be able to supply you with a parking permit. There is an application form that you are required to fill in and this is available from us on request.

If you have a local authority issued blue badge, you will be able to park in any of the available accessible bays. If you are not a blue badge holder, you can still apply and you may be able to park in other bays across the campus.

Can I get support whilst on placement?

Placement support Disabled students have the same opportunities as non-disabled students when undertaking work based learning or placements. If you require some additional support or adjustments before and during the placement or you are not sure about whether you will need support, please contact Disability Services, your Placement Unit/tutor or Careers and Employability Services to discuss this further.

Examples of support include: 

  • Support to write the application letter or to produce a CV.
  • Arranging a placement close to your home or with good links to accessible public transport.
  • Ensuring that you can access the work placement using ramps, height adjustable desks, push pads on doors, accessible toilets etc.
  • Making specialist equipment and software available - e.g. screen reading software, speech to text software, magnification software, adapted mouse or keyboard, use of a digital recorder etc.
  • Making changes to working hours such as working less days each week to complete the placement over a longer time period or altering start or finish times.
  • Providing a support worker such as a British Sign Language Interpreter. 

We strongly encourage you to disclose your disability to your placement provider. This will ensure that you can fully demonstrate your skills and abilities. We will not pass information about your disability to the placement provider without your permission and there may be options to partially disclose your disability.

For more information about this, please see the Disabled students' guide to placement support and the Brief guide for students.

Will my lecturers know about my support requirements?

Student requirements Disability Services work closely with our colleagues across the academic schools and other services so we can let them know about your requirements. This also allows you to have a choice of staff to contact across the University.

How do staff know about my requirements?

When your requirements have been identified, your Disability Adviser will produce a Personal Learning Support Plan (PLSP). The PLSP is a document that outlines very clearly what your support requirements are in the different academic settings. The PLSP is made available to you and the people in the University who will be providing your support. This includes your module leaders, your personal tutor,  your disability co-ordinator and the Library Disability Support Officer.

The PLSP is a flexible document and the recommendations made can change depending on your circumstances and the demands of your course. Some of the areas covered by a PLSP are adjustments for  teaching and learning situations, exams and assessments, field trips, practical or performance sessions and placements. The document also outlines your support worker recommendations.

Who can I approach for assistance?

In addition to your Disability Adviser who is based in Disability Services, you can also contact the following people about your support requirements. Click on the link for contact details:

– are staff based within your school who will ensure that teaching staff are made aware of your PLSP and who can be a first point of contact for you and any queries you may have.

Library Disability Support Officer – is a member of staff based in the Computing and Library Services who can offer disability specific guidance about access to the library and the resources.

What if I need personal care?

If you would like to live away from home whilst studying for your degree but require support with your daily living activities, the University may be able to help.  We link with an organisation called Volunteering Matters (formally known as CSV) who provide volunteers to live alongside you and to support you with all aspects of your personal care.  They are funded by your Local Authority and are supervised by a dedicated member of staff at the University.
If you would like to discuss this to see whether it would be suitable for you please contact us.

Autism@HudUni Lunch Club

The Wellbeing and Disability Service run an Autism@HudUni Lunch Club.

The aim is to provide:

  • Further support for university students with ASC
  • A place to have lunch in a quieter environment
  • The opportunity to ask or email questions about academic and student life
  • Somewhere to meet other students with ASC

The sessions run every Wednesday during term time between 12.30 – 1.30pm in SC4/24 (Workshop Room) in Student Central.

Contact us via autism@hud.ac.uk if you have any queries, suggestions or you are interested in attending.


If you've any further queries, please don't hesitate to get in touch at disability@hud.ac.uk or call 01484 471001.