Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) queries

What is Disabled Students' Allowance and how can I get it?

The Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is a non-means tested Government allowance that can be used to cover some additional academic costs that you may incur as a result of your disability. DSA can be awarded to full and part time undergraduate students and some postgraduate students. The application involves a number of stages and your Disability Adviser can help you through the process. You can apply for DSA before or during your course and we advise you to contact us to find ou more as soon as you can.

DSA is administered by your funding body – so please click on the relevant link for you for further information about DSA and details on how to apply:

Student Finance England - www.gov.uk/disabled-students
National Health Service (NHS) - https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/student-services
Student Awards Agency for Scotland - http://www.saas.gov.uk/
Student Finance Northern Ireland - http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/
Student Finance Wales - http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/

A key stage of the DSA process is the Assessment of Needs. The Assessment of Needs is an opportunity for you to meet with a trained assessor to discuss the impact of your disability, the demands of your course and your support requirements. The assessor will then produce a written report that will contain recommendations about the support you need and also give guidance to the University on how we can help you get the most from your studies. 

If you’re not eligible for DSA?

You may not be eligible for the Disabled Students’ Allowance if you are an international student, an EU student or your course lasts less than a year. Don’t worry, you can still get the same support as those students who have DSA.

Please get in touch and provide evidence of your disability. We will meet with you to discuss your support requirements and how we can meet your needs.


What information or evidence do I need to provide?

Your Disability Adviser will work with you in getting the right support in place. This may involve applying for the Disabled Students’ Allowance or making arrangements for support directly from the University. To do this, we will require some evidence of your disability. The evidence needs to explain how your disability impacts on your daily life and how long you have had or are likely to have the disability. The evidence can be written by any of the following people:

  • Your GP.
  • A specialist such as a mental health practitioner, an audiologist or a practitioner based in a clinical or hospital department.
  • An educational psychologist - this is for students who have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia. The Educational Psychologist Assessment report must have been produced after your 16th birthday.

Please pass a copy of your evidence to Disability Services by emailing it to disability@hud.ac.uk, or handing it in to the iPoint in Student Central, and we’ll let you know where to go from here. With your permission, we share information with University staff and external organisations so that we can get the support in place. You can also post your evidence to us at the following address:

Disability Service
Schwann Building
University of Huddersfield

If you are a current student and require an up to date Educational Psychologist Assessment report, Disability Services can arrange for an assessment to be performed at the University. The cost of the assessment with the Educational Psychologist is approximately £350 which is partly funded by the University. Each students undertaking an assessment is asked to make a contribution towards the cost - this is currently £60. For more information about this, please contact disability@hud.ac.uk.


Can you assess me for Disabled Students' Allowance?

The University of Huddersfield is an Outreach Assessment Centre and can offer Disabled Students' Allowance assessments to current and prospective students. If you would like to have your Needs Assessment with us, please pass on a copy of your eligibility letter from your funding body and a copy of the evidence you sent with your original DSA Application.  The Assessment Centre is open 9.00am-5.00pm. 

You can contact us:
Tel: 01484 471001
Email: disability@hud.ac.uk
In person:  iPoint, Level 4, Student Central, University of Huddersfield

We work in partnership with the University of Derby Assessment Centre and Broadbent & Co. Assessment Centre. Both Assessment Centres provide experienced assessors who will discuss the adjustments and support you may require on your course and make the relevant recommendations to your funding body.

We are currently offering DSA appointments within fifteen working days of receipt of your eligibility letter and medical evidence.

Here’s a little more information about the assessment and our facilities:

Getting to the Assessment Centre:

‌The Assessment Centre is based in Student Central and has level access from outside the building through into the assessment room. Student Central (building 34) can be located on the campus map.

Please report to the iPoint help desk which is located opposite the main entrance to Student Central (see photos below).      

Student Central         iPoint Help Desk


  • The Campus is in the Town Centre and so parking facilities are a short walk away. If you require a parking space closer to the Assessment Centre for reasons linked with your disability, please let us know.
  • If you have any support worker requirements for the assessment, such as a British Sign Language interpreter, please let us know in advance of the assessment and we can make the arrangements.
  • The Assessment Centre has accessible toilet facilities in the reception area. The toilets require the use of a radar key which can be obtained from the Wellbeing and Disability Services Help Desk.

If we have not covered a requirement or a query you have about the Assessment Centre, please do not hesitate to contact us.

After the Needs Assessment:

Once you have discussed your support requirements with the needs assessor, they will write up a report which contains all the recommendations. If you would like to see a draft copy of the report before this is sent to your funding body, you will receive this within 10 working days of the assessment. You can then pass on any comments or queries for the assessor to consider before they produce the final copy of your report and send it to your funding body. If you do not wish to see a draft, the final copy of your report will be sent directly to your funding body within 10 working days of the assessment.