Student counselling service

Counselling is talking therapy dedicated to helping you understand and manage any problems you are experiencing. Our counselling service is available to all enrolled students, respects individuality and provides a safe, non-judgmental space for you to speak freely and openly. 

Often it is helpful to speak to a counsellor as someone who is not attached to your situation in the same way as family and friends.  Our counsellors are trained, experienced and abide by the Framework for Good Practice of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (

Strict confidentiality will be maintained between you and your counsellor but may be broken in the following instances:

  • If required by law.
  • If agreed between you and your counsellor.
  • If there is a risk to yourself or another person.

We ask your permission to keep records of your counselling which are stored securely for a pre-agreed period in compliance with the Data Protection Act.

How to access the service

Book a same day or advance appointment, Monday to Friday with Wellbeing Services at the iPoint, Level 4, Student Central.

Tel. 01484 471001

After this initial meeting which will be with one of our Wellbeing Advisers, they will refer you to a counselling assessment if this is the right option for you.

What to expect from counselling 

After you have attended a counselling assessment, you may be offerred a series of four booked appointments which, where possible, will be arranged around your timetabled lessons and will last for 50 minutes.  During these sessions, your counsellor will support and encourage you to explore your concerns, with the aim of managing difficulties better and more resourcefully.  You may agree with your counsellor to attend further sessions if necessary.  You may also benefit from attending the Wellbeing workshops and support groups that are on offer.  Your counsellor will talk to you about the options and together you can decide if these might be beneficial for you.


If you have any concerns about any aspect of your counselling, please raise it with your counsellor and/or report it to Wellbeing and Disability Services, Level 4, Student Central.  Counselling Complaints Procedure