Care leavers, estranged students and students with caring responsibilities

As a care leaver, estranged student, or student with caring responsibilities, you may have particular concerns about studying at University.

We can offer support that is specifically tailored to your needs, and can help you with:

  • Information and support with enrolling/registering.
  • Support with applying for a care leaver bursary.
  • Both academic and personal support.
  • Assistance liaising with accommodation providers.

You can also access our range of free Workshops and Groups and when appropriate, we can help you get additional support with other services across the University.

We have a dedicated Support Co-ordinator in place to support you from day one, to your graduation. You can contact her on 01484 471001 or email

I'm available for one-to-one support to help with any troubles you may be facing, and I can work with you to access other methods of support. Similarly, I can help you liaise with other services, such as Finance or accommodation providers to help you feel comfortable and confident throughout your time at University. 

Rebecca Hayes, Support Co-ordinator (Care leavers and Vulnerable Adults)


The Stand Alone Pledge

The University of Huddersfield has committed to The Stand Alone Pledge and is actively encouraging and supporting estranged students whilst at University. An estranged student is a student who is no longer in contact with their family for any reason.