Specialist Information, Advice, Guidance (IAG) and Support

Self Help and Guidance

Enabling self-help is important as it recognises that students may need to explore and consider matters in advance of making a disclosure or approaching others for support.

MyHud.hud.ac.uk and students.hud.ac.uk provide a wide range of information, advice and guidance for students. Togetherall.com provides a range of CQC approved services on a 24/7 basis to support students' wellbeing.


Wellbeing Advisors, Mental Health Advisors and Counselling

A range of specialist advisors and counsellors are available to support students navigate any challenges they face including staying safe. Student Choice, Confidentiality and Consent are key operating principles that enable effective relationships to be developed between students and advisors. Team members have expertise in wide range of areas including:

  • Bullying
  • Bereavement
  • Alcohol/drug abuse
  • Homesickness
  • Mental Health
  • Sexuality and Gender
  • Harassment
  • Domestic abuse
  • Care Leavers
  • Addictions
  • Eating disorders
  • Forced marriage
  • Relationships
  • Sexual Violence
  • Attendance and engagement
  • 3rd Party Referrals
  • Vulnerability
  • Safeguarding and Prevent

Students can easily start an enquiry by email (studentwellbeing@hud.ac.uk) or by contacting iPoint.


Share and Support

Share and Support provides both a route to give information and to get support for students facing challenges. It provides an anonymous route for students to disclose matters they are concerned about.


Disability Services

Disability Services works with students and staff to ensure that disabled students can access their learning, make good progress and stay safe during the course of their studies. Students disclosing a disability to the University are requested to register with Disability Services. Students who suspect they may have a disability are invited to register and meet with an advisor.

Students with care and support needs are highly likely to have a diagnosis of a disability. Registration with Disability Services provides a mechanism for their needs to be considered and integrated into a Personal Learning Support Plan. Each Student is allocated a named Disability Advisor who they can contact at any time during their studies.

If University staff or students are concerned that a student has care and support needs, supporting them to register with Disability or Wellbeing Services will start the process of considering their needs and including any safeguarding requirements.


Safer Student Campus Police Officer

The University partners with West Yorkshire Police to engage an on-campus Police Officer who, subject to operational requirements, is on campus Monday to Friday during term time. This provides a known Police colleague who students and staff can access information advice and guidance from. Find out more 


Disciplinary Processes and Suspensions

During enrolment, students are notified of a number of key policies including the Student Handbook of Regulations incorporating the community code of conduct, disciplinary procedures and safeguarding policy.

The Community Code sets out our expectations in respect of behaviour. Students who do not meet such expectations may be subject to appropriate investigation and disciplinary action. Precautionary measures of suspending students or keeping alleged victims and perpetrators apart help to ensure student safety and wellbeing.

If a member of the University community considers that there is a need to control another students access to campus or contact with other students this should be raised with Registry. Where it relates to a staff member, it should be raised with HR.


Mental Health Framework and Guidance

A key matter affecting student safety is Mental Health, and the Student wellbeing and mental health support framework and guidance provides useful guidance to signpost and support both students and staff.


Student Health

During enrolment, students are notified of the opportunity to register with the University Health Centre, a GP practice adjacent to campus.