Support for Care Leavers and those estranged from their family

Starting university can be an exciting prospect but also a challenging one. As a care leaver, or a student studying without the support of their family, you may have particular concerns about what to do after you graduate from your course. We can offer support that is specifically tailored to your needs and can help you with navigating the next steps and planning your career. 

You may find it beneficial to talk through your ideas with one of our Careers Consultants. They can help you to consider a range of options and address any particular issues you feel might be barriers to progressing in your future career. The best way to do this is to book a Careers Appointment.

The educational charity the Carer Leavers Foundation can sometimes make small financial grants to support care leavers. Visit the Care Leavers Foundation website for further information. 

Further Support and Resources

Wellbeing Service

Our Wellbeing Service provides a lot of support to student care leavers and estranged students.

The Care Leavers Association

Advice on leaving care and being at university, including resources and telephone support.


Free advice over the phone for career leavers in higher education.