Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why have I been asked for my documents before I have been made an offer?

We request documents as it could be that the information on your application was incomplete.  This could include missing education/work history or a mismatch between your nationality and country of birth.

2. I am a continuing student.  When will I get my student loan?

If you have made your application to the Student Loans Company, you will not receive your loan until you have re-registered with us at the University.  Please note that even if you do re-register prior to term starting you will not receive your loan until the start of term.

3. My record states that I am on a Sandwich course but I am studying on a full-time course with no placement. Do I need to do anything?

Please don't worry, everyone is put on the sandwich route of their course.  At the end of year 2, you can make a choice to progress on to the final year of your course or take the placement year option.  Your academic school will let us know which route you have chosen.  Please remember to apply for the correct course for student finance.

4. Where can I get a letter to open a student bank account, proof of study or obtain a Council Tax exemption letter?

You can obtain these letters from our self service facility once you have enrolled. You can log into MyHud and click on My Studies, My Details and then look for the Documents tile.

5. My employer needs a reference, how do I get this?

Please request a letter from us by emailing  Please note the request from the employer must contain a copy of your consent for us to share this information with them. 

6. I have dual nationality eg: UK/Non-EU, but have never lived in the UK.  Can I pay at the Home rate?

No, as fee status is assessed on your nationality and where you were living for the 3 years directly before the start of your course.  Even though you are a UK national, as you have not lived in the UK, you do not qualify to pay the Home rate.

7. I have permanent residency in an EU country and I’ve been living there for over 3 years but I am not an EU national.  Can I pay fees at the Home rate?

No, as you would be considered an Overseas student because you do not have permanent residency in the UK.  If you are married to or are the civil partner of an UK national, you may qualify to pay fees at the Home rate.

8. I’m in the UK on a visa, can I pay fees at the Home rate?

No, as you are given a length of time that you can stay in the UK.  You would need to have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK and have been in the UK for at least 3 years before the course starts and not with the intention of education as your main purpose.

9. I’m not an EU national but my partner is and we both live in the UK.  Can I pay fees at the Home rate?

If you're NOT married, you will have to pay the Overseas rate but if you are married or in a civil partnership (same sex), you may be eligible to pay the Home rate as long as your Spouse/Partner has Indefinite Leave to Remain or Settled Status and has lived in the UK for 3 years or more (they must have entered the UK before 31 December 2020) before the start date of your course.

10. I will have lived in the UK for 3 years a month after my course has started, will I be eligible to change my fee status to Home rates?

No, this is not going to change after you have started your course.  Also, if you acquire settled status (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK after the start of your course, you will still not be entitled to a change of fee status unless you have been granted this as a refugee.

11. I am an EU national and have lived in the UK for 4 years and have pre settled status, will I be eligible for Home rate?

To be eligible for Home fee rate you must have entered the UK by 31 December 2020 and have lived in the UK for 3 years or more prior to the start date of your course and have applied for EU settled status by 30 June 2021. Therefore, you will not require a visa and will be eligible to pay the Home fee rate.

 12. What are the University term dates?

You can find the University term dates here.

Please note:
It is your responsibility to clarify your fee status during the application process.  We do carry out a fee assessment during this process, based upon the information we hold.

Contact us:

We are here to help; if you have any queries about your fee status or fee classification, please contact a member of the Student Records team on Tel: 01484 957500 or Email: