What are academic skills?
Whether you have come to University straight from school or college, after some years in work or raising a family, or are returning for postgraduate study, you may find that the required skills are different. The Academic Skills Tutors are here to help you understand what is expected. Located in each School, they provide a secure and confidential space to discuss any academic skills issues you may have, or even just to confirm that you are on track. They can help you to develop, and build on the skills you need to succeed whatever challenges you face throughout your course.
Academic Skills Tutors can help you with:
- Organisation and time management
- Finding and evaluating information
- Critical thinking and constructing arguments
- Reading and note-taking strategies
- Developing your academic writing style
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Exam preparation
- IT and numeracy skills
- Advice on essays, major written projects and dissertations
- Presentation skills
- Editing skills.